SAFEGUARDING PARISH POLICY
For Working with Children and Vulnerable Adults
The PCC of LAUNCESTON
- Accepts the prime duty of care placed upon the Parish Priest and Parochial Church Council (PCC) to ensure the well-being of children and vulnerable adults in the church community.
- Adopts and implements this child protection policy and procedures, based on the Diocesan Safeguarding policy and the House of Bishops ‘Protecting all God’s Children’
- Will appoint a co-ordinator(s) to work with the Parish Priest and the PCC to implement policy and procedures. The co-ordinator(s) must ensure that any concerns are dealt with according to the Diocesan policy and legislative requirements.
The PCC has appointed Sarah Vinson to be the Safeguarding Coordinator(s). They share the responsibility for safeguarding in the Parish with the Parish Priest.
The PCC recognizes the following areas of work with children and vulnerable adults:
- Bell ringing (St Mary Magdalene, St Thomas and St Stephen Churches)
- Choir (St Mary Magdalene Church)
- Servers (St Stephen Church, St Thomas & St Mary Magdalene Church)
- Memory Friendly Service (Christ the Cornerstone)
- All age Services (St Thomas, St Mary and St Stephen Church)
- Open the book (Ecumenical)
- Messy Church (Launceston Parish)
- Family Fun Night (Christ the Cornerstone)
- Local Pastoral Ministers (Parish)
- Local Worship Leaders (Parish)
- DCC and PCC Churchwardens and members (all churches)
The PCC has authorized the following people to work with children and vulnerable adults in the church: Bell ringing:
DCC and PCC Treasurer:
Choir: Robin Stubbs, Bernard Pink
Servers: Arthur Wills, Sue Barriball, Catherine Striplin, Pat Penno, Pam Parnell, Alice Horn, Don Sharpe, Rob Tremain, Graham Wormald, Heather Letts, Helen Davies, Rob Tremaine, Rosemary Russell, Brenda Mitchell, Llewelyn Lancaster, Clive Vinson, Roger Jones, James Wonnacott, Johnny Mann, Peter Jones, Gloria Laseby, Eve Gabriel, Pauline Duke, Brian Laseby
Memory Friendly Service: Revd Alison Hardy, Gloria Laseby, LWL and LPM’s
Open the book: Jennifer Edwards, Susan Tierney, Patricia Tremain, Andrew Dunning, Gillian Jones, Peter Jones, Gloria Laseby, Patricia Mogford,** Sheila Warren,** Pauline Darby, Mary Elliott, **(Methodist DBS through C of E, not currently active members)
Messy Church: Pauline Duke, Gloria Laseby, Naomi Sparey, Sue Tierney, Revd Alison Hardy, Esther Pinder**
Family Fun Night: Terry Jones, Mavis Jones ** Sarah Vinson, Charlie Reynolds
Kids Cafe Sue Tierney, Esther Pinder**, Don Sharpe
Food for Thought Café Sarah Vinson, Helen Davies, Revd Alison Hardy, Don Sharpe, Rosemary Russell, Yann
Local Pastoral Ministers Susan Barriball, Rosemary Russell, Sarah Vinson
Local Worship Leaders Rosemary Russell, Gloria Laseby, Arthur Wills, Rob Tremain, Don Sharpe, Andy Dunning
Ordinand Helen Davies, Jess Lancaster
Churchwardens Graham Wormald, Brenda Mitchell, Pam Parnell, Susan Barriball, Clive Vinson, James Wonnacott
Reader James Wonnacott
Reader in training
The PCC will:
- Display the Childline telephone number and details of how to contact the coordinators
- Ensure that all those authorized to work with children and vulnerable adults or in a position of authority have undertaken a DBS Disclosure check and been appropriately appointed.
- Ensure that all such authorized personnel are trained, supported and provided with a copy of the Parish and Diocesan Safeguarding Policy and Guidelines.
- Pay particular attention to all those with specific needs, including those from ethnic minorities, to ensure their full integration and protection within the church community.
- Create a culture of informed vigilance which takes safeguarding seriously.
- Ensure that appropriate pastoral care is available for any person who has made a disclosure.
- Provide, as appropriate, support for all parents and families in the congregation.
- Ensure that those who may pose a threat to children and vulnerable adults are effectively managed and monitored.
- Provide appropriate insurance cover for all activities undertaken in the name of the Parish.
- Review the implementation of the safeguarding policy, procedures and good practice annually.
The above has been discussed and implemented by the PCC.